Sunday, March 16, 2014

When I wonder if He knows what I need {Be Still Art Print}

"Be still, and know that I am God. I will will be exalted among the nations. I will be exalted in the earth." Psalm 46:10

Yesterday I chased my 18-month-old son as he ran as fast as his little legs could take him down our driveway toward the road. I would have laughed if it wasn't so dangerous. He kept looking back over his shoulder and then turning and toddling faster. I just barely caught up to him and guided him back to to play with the riding toys. Instead, he found a large puddle and sat in it. He quickly got up and toddled off to the next thing.

Be still? Are mothers of young boys ever still?? My days at home are often chaotic. Don't misunderstand, I love my boys and love how much time I get to spend with them. But life is just busy. I'm often dealing with the crying over wanting the same toy, tripping over toys, cleaning up spills, trying to decipher toddler whines and screams, drying tears, preventing the younger brother from biting his older brother, reminding my almost 4-year-old not to jump on furniture, racing to shut the bathroom door before my toddler eats the toilet paper. Yes, eats it! Racing to the same child as he climbs on the table to stand on it or puts other foreign objects in his mouth. You get the picture.

But this verse has been coming to mind often over the last few weeks, ever since a friend called me up on a Monday night and requested this custom design that she needed by Thursday of the same week.  Forty-five of them. I had other things planned for my week, but of course I said yes!

And God used it. He knew I would need the reminder in the coming week, to stop and focus on who He is and how much He loves me. To be grateful for all He has done for me. To focus on the bigger picture and His purpose not only for me but for all people.

"Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you, I give men in return for you, peoples in exchange for your life." Isaiah 43:4

 I could use my busyness as an excuse not to, but a good friend often reminds me that it only takes ONE SECOND to surrender. I can find the time  – even just for a minute.

So when you have a week when disappointment hits. Or when you aren't sure what God's plan is. When deadlines get moved up. When I'm angry at…. When my kids lose it and I can barely hold it together. When "quiet mornings at home" turn into chaos. When my plans fail. When I can't get it all done. When I'm tired. When my kids are sick…again. When I think, "God, don't you know what I need?" (Or, let's be  honest, what I want.

Be Still. And know that I am God. Of course He knows exactly what I need. I need to know Him more intimately. To trust Him more completely. To love. To forgive. To ask forgiveness. To obey. To find my strength in Him.

I'm still working on this, so this design of  Psalm 46:10 will be my reminder.





No comments:

Post a Comment