Friday, November 21, 2014

Simple Advent Countdown Craft + Free Printable

I've already attended my first Christmas event of the season. Most of my gifts are purchased or at least planned out in my head. And I've already wrapped most of the books my boys will be opening and reading during the twelve days leading into Christmas. This is huge for me – I'm a holiday procrastinator. And I try to do too much too late. I'm determined to get ahead of things this season and also let a few things go. I'm also hoping to make Christmas more about Christ's birth than about Santa and gifts.

But let's back up. Christmas really starts for me sometime in the summer when we begin planning graphics for Christmas events at the church where I am employed. This year, our project for the women at our church was just too exciting not to share with all of you. Because it's meant to be shared! {Don't I have the best job ever?!}

It's a countdown to Christmas focused on Jesus. It's seriously the simplest craft you'll ever make. All the hard work is already done. {You're welcome!}


So go and grab a 4x6 frame in your house, or pick one up the next time you go shopping. {This one was on clearance at Target a few weeks ago. I like it because it's a little bit unique and works in any room.}

Download this free PDF of my double-sided Christmas card set numbered 1-25. Print them out on card stock. To further simplify things, just pick one side to print.

The front of each card looks something like this. 


The back has a different Scripture verse on each card. 



Trim some scrapbook paper to 4x6 for the background. Place it in your frame in front of the glass.



Glue a small clothes pin to the paper toward the top. I used a hot glue gun, but any craft glue with work.



And finally, place card #25 in the clothes pin, choosing either the front or the back to display.



Store the rest of the cards in a small bag or envelope.



And now you are ready to begin your Advent countdown! Read the Scripture verse on the back as a family as you change out the card each day to focus God's greatest gift of Jesus at Christmas.



It's so simple you could make an extra and give it to a friend or neighbor.

I think my boys will enjoy changing out the cards with me before we read our Christmas stories each night. Which reminds me – we have two more books to find to round out our twelve days of Christmas reading. I'd love to hear what your family's all-time favorite Christmas book is! For example, The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado is a sweet Christmas story that we enjoy this season and year-round.

Enjoy!
Erin

Note: I'd love nothing more than to create a complete set of cards for each one of my lovely readers. I truly do. But because I can't charge anything for this design, that's just not realistic. I'm so sorry! If your printer is out of ink, like mine often is, I hope you can find a friend who can print these for you or consider taking it to Staples. It's totally worth it! And if you're local, all you need to do to get your very own set of cards is sign up to host a Christmas Open House in your neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment