Friday, May 9, 2014

When Motherhood is Messy {Printable Card}

Confession. I yelled at my kids this morning. I mean, really lost it. Then I cried. And then we hugged and cried some more. My heart still hurts from it. If you know my boys, you are probably thinking, how could she yell at those sweet faces?!

It was less about the whining over crumbs on his Legos. Yes, people, crumbs. Or about playing in a sink full of dirty dishes, getting drenched in dirty dishwater. Or about hanging from the tray to my  printer. It was about me. Trying to do it all, be it all, and, yes, have it all. Trying to meet everyone's expectations, like the super mom that we all think our mom friends are. (The comparison trap again.)

I'm tired. And discouraged. And I took it out on them. I expected the unrealistic – to have an hour in the morning before heading out the door to get my list of two things done while my precious boys played quietly without creating a mess. Ha!

I somewhat pulled it together as we headed out to Taekwondo. I don't think I was fooling anyone, but thankfully every single one of those moms gets it. I was directed to this post by a mom friend — just what I needed, of course. Take a minute to let it sink in.

When I think about Mother's Day and that my mom had not two but three of us – two boys and a girl, all 15 months apart – to care for while my dad worked long hours, I am humbled and grateful. Every day as I muddle through parenting my boys, I gain a new appreciation for my mom, that that she successfully and gracefully got the three of us through our preschool years...and beyond. Our family wasn't perfect, but there was always lots of love.

Motherhood is a tough job. Maybe the the toughest. Certainly the longest hours. And I'm so thankful I don't have to be perfect. That I can fail and God can pick me back up and use me. Because I have a perfect Father by my side who offers grace.


God wants Prodigal Parents — not perfect parents.
Lavish in love, extravagant in truth, big spenders of grace.
~Ann Voskamp 

...................................................................................................................................................


Do you still need a  special Mother's Day card? Download this free 5x7 printable card.
Include your own special note of appreciation to mom on the inside. This design is lovely printed on linen card stock or matte photo paper.



https://www.dropbox.com/s/7frgjfru5spncme/MothersDayCard_ToughJobGreen_LDD.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment